Tuesday, May 24, 2011

HW 58

I talked to 2 people that are yet to go to the prom, 1 person who was a little older who went to prom, and 1 older person that didn't go to their prom. I got a variety of answers.

The first person I talked to is going to prom on thursday. They didn't seem to think very highly of prom and I know that they were thinking of not even going. When I asked about it they said "I think it's over rated and I expect it to be whack", when I asked why they said "I just do, I don't think it's gonna be fun at all I have high expectations and I know they're not gonna be met". I agree with them, I think that it is hyped up too much, it's supposed to be this huge night so I understood why they thought it wasn't going to be good because it is already being hyped up so they're going to have high expectations for it.

The next person I talked to is in the 11th grade and they had different thoughts. They seemed a lot more positive about it, which I like, so I'll include the whole thing they said (positivity ^^^). "I want to participate in everything in prom because if you dont participate in everything in prom then there is no point of going. even the sex and drinking thing I guess. there is nothing that I want to regret, if people are having fun, i want to have fun too because it is going to be one of the last times I will be able to see all of the people I met in high school. I want to make the best of it. I think that prom is necessary because it is supposed to be a fun experience. I feel like people who wouldn't go to prom don't want to have fun or may have some religious reasons against it. I don't think its all about a date but I think its about going looking your best for one last time then just having fun. I think prom should be seen as more of a celebration like a party and less of a formal meeting or some sort of wedding. I think teenagers should get to act like teenagers at prom and not like they are getting married." I thought this was the best answer I got. I completely agree with them, I think prom is really (and should be) about having fun with the people you have spent the past years with in school.

The next person I talked to went to prom already. I asked them about the dominant social practices and their own experience. They said, "alcohol consumption, sex at the end of the night, and awkward dancing with teachers watching. Usually, people go overboard and someone gets sick or sucks too many penis's and ruins their reputation." I thought this was interesting because I have heard stuff like this but it's funny to think that all this stuff is incorporated with prom which is this school event. This is supposed to be this formal thing but yet all these things are happening and it is regularly associated with the prom.

The last person I talked to was my father who didn't go to prom. "I didn't dance and it just wasn't something I was into at the time". Although it's not the reason he didn't go, he was working on the night of the prom "out for the almighty buck". He said, "There was a part of the society that was rebelling against the dominant social practices. It was a time of a lot of change, with the civil rights, women's liberation, black panthers, resistance to the Vietnam war. So these typical social standards were being questioned and challenged and weren't being accepted. I was more drawn to that type of attitude." I thought this was very interesting because I can relate this very much. I myself feel this a lot, I question a lot of the things I'm told to do and a lot of the traditional ways and dominant social practices. Back then you weren't supposed question anything, and I think now it is becoming more acceptable to question things.
All of these gave me different views and opinions about the prom. I think I can agree and relate to points in all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment