Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Extra Credit Thing!



I went to two public cemeteries with Chris and Kevin unfortunately not at midnight. They were both around each other. The cemeteries were: St. Pauls Cemetery and Trinity Church Cemetery. To be honest I felt no difference whatsoever in these cemeteries then I would feel in a park with benches. I think part of this was because the cemeteries were so old. Both cemeteries had dead people from the 1800's. I guess this made it harder to feel anything because it is hard to feel some kind of connection when this time was so long ago.
The tombs were very old and not many were in good condition. There were all types of shapes for the tombstones and all types of different writing on the tombstones. Some just had the person's name and birth and death, some had quotes, and some had words about the person. There were many tourists around taking pictures and just walking around looking. No one was sad, I'm sure this is because no one knew any of the dead people there!
There were so many tombstones it made me think to myself is it worth it to use up all this land to have tombstones? I started thinking about this. I feel like cemeteries are just there to give people a physical thing that you can talk to when someone you know dies. It's like a substitute of a person in a body, this way you have to go visit the grave etc. But why can't you just talk to the person out loud or in your mind? It's not like speaking to a tombstone actually makes the dead person hear you. I don't know I guess I don't really understand why you need this physical thing to remind you of the person, their memories should already live in your mind.
I think this experience would have been very different if it were actually a cemetery where people that have died recently were buried, or someone I actually know was buried in the cemetery because these old cemeteries made it hard for me to feel any kind of feelings or connections.
Going to these cemeteries just made me think: what is the point of cemeteries? Is it just a waste of land?


Myspace pic flow LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment