Monday, May 23, 2011

HW 57

I haven't thought about prom much. To me it doesn't seem like such a big deal. I know that it is a big deal to a lot of other people. It's supposed to be the "perfect night". You have to dress up your best, get a date and get a limo to drive you.. All that type of stuff. Me personally, I would prefer to go in a t-shirt and basketball shorts and ride a bike over. I think that it is some type of thing that teenagers have to have responsibility and get ready for this big night. It seems like it is a night of living like the richest, even though you're probably not. I guess when you think about it, it is kind of some type of rights of passage in our society, it's like a wedding or some type of rich formal party, but when I think of it I think it's just a party to have fun with your friends before everyone graduates high school and goes off to college. I've seen both my brothers go to prom. It seemed more serious and traditional for my older brother, he was all dressed up in a suit (which is very rare that you see that), his girlfriend had her dress, my mom was taking pictures of them before they left for prom. It seemed less serious for my other brother, he was just hanging out with his friend in my house before he left, I don't really remember much about when he went because it didn't seem like as big of a deal. I know that both of them went to after parties which is like a less formal party without the teachers there after the prom. Overall I think that it is looked at too seriously and it should be laid back and less of a structure of how prom is "supposed" to be.

-Was prom always the same way or did it change over time?
-Is prom really a rights of passage to teenagers? Do adults look at them differently after?
-Is there a reason prom is set up the way it is?
-Why do you HAVE to dress up for prom?

No comments:

Post a Comment